- 65% children not breastfed within one hour of birth in Bihar.
- The gender resource centre of Women Development Corporation, in association with Unicef, organized an outreach and experience-sharing workshop on ‘Sustaining BreastfeedingTogether’ to commemorate the World Breastfeeding Week.
- As per National Family Health Survey-4 (2015-16), 48 infants per 1,000 births in Bihar die due to various reasons which can be eliminated if they are breastfed. While most of the new mothers start breastfeeding, many depend on formula milk.
- NFHS data on feeding practices and nutritional status of children further suggest that almost two-thirds of them under the age of 3 years in Bihar (65%) are not breastfed within the first hour of their birth.
ð China formally launched its first overseas naval facility in Djibouti, an East African nation.
ð Five Chinese formations and Djibouti’s Three Services HonorGuard took part in the launch ceremony on 1 of August 2017.
ð The event marked the 90th anniversary of the Chinese military Services.
ð Djibouti is a tiny East African nation of around 887,000 people, is between Ethiopia, Eritrea, and Somalia.
ð Dijbouti is known as horn of Africa.
· Peter O’Neill re-elected as Prime Minister of Papua New Guinea.
- Peter O’Neill has been reappointed as Prime Minister of Papua New Guinea.
- The election has been widely criticized because thousands of voters were excluded and there were blazing abuses of the electoral process.
- He is the leader of the People’s National Congress and represents the constituency of Ialibu-Pangia.
· World breastfeeding week is observed from August 1st to August 7th.
- World breastfeeding weekis being celebrated from 1st to 7th August every year.
- The theme for the year 2017 is “Sustaining Breastfeeding Together”.
- It was first celebrated in 1992 by World Alliance for Breastfeeding World Breastfeeding WeekAction (WABA)and is now observed in over 120 countries by United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), World Health Organization (WHO)and their partners including individuals, organizations, and governments.
- e-RaKAM portal has been launched by Government.
- The government launched a portal, e-Rashtriya Kisan Agri Mandi(e-RaKAM), to provide a platform to sell agricultural produce. The portal is a joint initiative by state-run-auctioneer MSTC and Central Warehousing Corporation arm CRWC.
- E-RaKAM is a first-of-its-kind initiative that leverages technology to connect farmers of the smallest villages to the biggest markets of the world through internet and e-RaKAM centres.
- Under this initiative, e-RaKAM centres are being developed in a phased manner throughout the country to facilitate farmers for online sale of their produce.
- Farmers would be paid through e-Payment directly into their bank accounts.
- Reliance Jio launches world’s longest 100Gbps submarine-cable-system.
- Reliance Jio Infocomm has launched the Asia-Africa-Europe (AAE-1) submarine cable system. It is claimed to be world’s longest 100Gbps technology-based.
- Third Bi-Monthly Monetary Policy declared.
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) announced Third Bi-Monthly Monetary Policy Statement for current fiscal.2017-18 on August 2, 2017. This time, RBI has cut the policy repo rate by 25 basis points (bps) to 6 percent.
Repo Rate – 6.00%
Reverse Repo Rate – 5.75%
Marginal Standing Facility Rate – 6.25%
Bank Rate – 6.25%
Cash Reserve Ratio (CRR) – 4.00%
Statutory Liquidity Ratio (SLR) – 20.00%
· Union Parliament passes Right of Children to Free and Compulsory Education Amendment Bill.
- The Union Parliament passed the Right of Children to Free and Compulsory Education(Amendment) Bill, 2017 with Rajya Sabha approving it Lok Sabha
- The Bill amends the Right of Children to Free and Compulsory Education Act (RTE), 2009 by extending the deadline for teachers to acquire the prescribed minimum qualifications for appointment.
· SBI and Samsung collaborate to advance Digital India initiative.
- The State Bank of India (SBI)and Samsung India announced the availability of Samsung Pay for higher variants of SBI debit card to advance Digital India.
- It is currently available on Samsung smartphones. It enables consumers to make offline payments without the need for a physical Card.
- It works on 2.5 million Point of Sale (POS) Card machines across the country through its Magnetic SecureTransmission (MST) technology.
- BPCS 2022 Mains Tests and Notes Program
- BPCS Prelims Exam 2022 - Test Series and Notes Program
- BPCS Prelims and Mains 2022 Tests Series and Notes Program
- BPCS Detailed Complete Prelims Notes