Bihar checks readiness of oxygen plants
Ahead of the Omicron threat looming over the country, the state conducted a mock drill of all pressure swing adsorption (PSA) plants in Bihar to ensure their functionality and readiness to provide oxygen in the event of an emergency.
The state can now produce over 490 metric tonnes of oxygen per day through a variety of techniques.
In response to a question about Bihar’s oxygen-generating capacity, Singh stated, “According to a calculation conducted on December 6, the state’s oxygen-generating capacity was 489 metric tonnes per day. During the peak of the second wave, 377 metric tonnes were required. Now, if we add 30% to that, we will require 490 metric tonnes. We added two more PSAs following the December 6 calculation, and it is certain that we have now exceeded 490 metric tonne capacity.”
Singh added that 62 of the PSA plants were established under the PM CARES Fund, 10 by public sector units under the ministry of petroleum and natural gas, and the remaining 55 were set up by the state government and other organisations, including a couple by individuals.
WADA Report on Rule Violations
The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) just released a report on “Rule Violations.”
- In 2019, the number of offenders in India grew, placing India among the top three global doping violators.
- Bodybuilding, weightlifting, and athletics have all played a role in India’s dismal performance.
- In 2019, India reported 152 anti-doping rule violations (ADRVs), accounting for 17% of the global total.
- Maximum dope offenders reported from bodybuilding out of all offenders (57).
- With 25 ADRVs, weightlifting is the most popular Olympic sport. Athletics (20) and wrestling come as second and third, respectively (10).
- Boxing and judo each had four ADRVs. In 2019, four cricketers also signed ADRVs.
Apretude Approved by FDA To Prevent HIV
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved the world’s first injectable drug for lowering the risk of contracting HIV.
Apretude is a medication that can be injected. “Cabogegravir extended-release injectable suspension” is its generic name.
The medicine is an alternative to daily HIV prophylaxis pills such as Truvada and Descovy. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), these pills are up to 99 percent effective in preventing HIV transmission through sexual contact. It must, however, be taken daily to be effective.
However, to begin Apretude, clients are given two doses one month apart. They will be given an injection every two months after that.
This injection will be crucial to combat the HIV epidemic in the United States.
It will also benefit high-risk individuals and specific groups for whom taking daily medicine is difficult or impossible.
NITI Aayog- UN WFP Agreement on Food Basket Diversification.
The NITI Aayog and the UN World Food Program (UN WEP) have agreed to broaden the food basket. On December 20, 2021, both organizations signed a Statement of Intent.
- The NITI Aayog and UN WEP partnership aims to mainstream millets and help India take the lead internationally in knowledge exchange in the year 2023, which has been designated as the International Year of Millets.
- This alliance also intends to improve small-farmer livelihoods, climate change adaptation and climate change adaption capabilities, and adaptation capabilities and strengthen climate-resilient agriculture for improved food and nutrition security across India.
- The Indian government declared 2018 to be the year of millets to boost and develop millet cultivation.
Anti-Doping Bill Introduced by Sports Minister
The law aims to establish a legal basis for the National Anti-Doping Agency’s operations (NADA).
The bill gives NADA the authority to conduct raids and boost drug-abuse prevention initiatives in Indian communities.
It will also establish a legal framework for the National Dope Testing Laboratory (NDTL) and other dope testing facilities to operate under.
It also calls for establishing a National Board for Anti-Doping in Sports to boost anti-doping efforts in sports.
Previously, NADA had no jurisdiction to execute raids, and NADA’s anti-doping appeal panel agreed.
The law aims to give NADA powers of investigation, inspection, sample collection, sharing, and free flow of information and the ability to impose punishment for anti-doping rule violations and establish disciplinary procedures.
Delhi to set up first Teachers University
The university will offer a four-year integrated teacher education programme after Class 12.
In the programme, BA &B.Ed, BSc &B.Ed, and BCom&B.Ed courses will be incorporated.
While pursuing these courses, those enrolled in the university will also be linked to Delhi government schools for training purposes.
Government will introduce “Delhi Teachers University Bill 2021” for the same in the next session of Delhi Assembly.
Delhi Teachers’ University will be a public university. It will be dedicated to prepare excellent quality teachers for Delhi across different school stages. Students from university will also be attached with Delhi government schools for entire duration of the course, to get hands-on experience. It will help students in receiving excellent practical knowledge in addition to theoretical knowledge.
BPCS Notes brings Prelims and Mains programs for BPCS Prelims and BPCS Mains Exam preparation. Various Programs initiated by BPCS Notes are as follows:-
- BPCS 2022 Mains Tests and Notes Program
- BPCS Prelims Exam 2022 - Test Series and Notes Program
- BPCS Prelims and Mains 2022 Tests Series and Notes Program
- BPCS Detailed Complete Prelims Notes