- Application, website soon to take the waste food to needy
- Roughly 1.3 billion tonnes of edible food produced in the world is discarded every year. Had only one fourth of the food wasted globally been saved, it would have been sufficient to feed 900 million people all over.
- Launched in Patna, ‘Don’t You Waste Food (DYWF)’ campaign aims to reduce food wastage in Tier-II and Tier-III cities with the help of its mobile app.
- While a website (dywf.org) is being developed, the DYWF app will be launched early next year. The website and the app will have a list of local organisations which public can contact in case there is excess food at the home, office or elsewhere. A team of volunteers will soon get in touch with people, pick up the food and distribute it among the hungry.
· Azar A.H.Khan Appointed Next Ambassador of India to Turkmenistan
- Shri Azar A.H.Khan, presently Consul General in the Consulate General of India,Istanbulappointed as the next Ambassador of India to Turkmenistan.
- He is expected to take up his assignment shortly.
· Kerala’s Alappuzha in Top 5 UN Clean City List
- The waste management system being implemented in Kerala’s coastal town of Alappuzha recognized by the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) as one of the five models across the world for fighting the pollution menace.
- Alappuzha, often called “the Venice of East”,has been listed in the UNEP environment report entitled, ‘Solid approach to waste: how five cities are beating pollution’ alongside cities like Osaka in Japan, Ljubljana in Slovenia, Penang in Malaysia and Cajica in Colombia.
- India, Israel to open centre for floriculture in Tamil Nadu
- India and Israel are coming together to set up a centre for excellence in floriculture at Thally in Krishnagiri district of Tamil Nadu.
- The centre, the first agro-technology development centre to be set up with Israel’s assistance in the State, was officially inaugurated on 7 December.
- These centres would not only develop agricultural practices suitable for selected geographical regions, but would also transfer the best practices to farmers in and around.
- Aamir Khan’s Dangal Wins Best Asian Film at Australian Gala
- Aamir Khan-starrer Dangal was on Wednesday named the Best Asian Film at the 7th Australian Academy of Cinema and Television Arts (AACTA) Awards.
- Dangal, directed by Nitesh Tiwari, is a biographical sports drama film.
- It is inspired by the lives of the Phogat family members, telling the story of Mahavir Singh Phogat, an amateur wrestler, who trains his daughters Geeta and Babita to become India’s first world-class female wrestlers.
- Unesco recognizes Kumbh Mela as India’s cultural heritage
- The Kumbh Mela has been recognized by Unesco as an “intangible cultural heritage of humanity”.
- The intergovernmental committee for the safeguarding of intangible cultural heritage under the UN body inscribed the Kumbh Mela on the “representative list of the intangible cultural heritage of humanity” at its 12th session in Jeju, South Korea.
- The Kumbh Mela, held in Allahabad, Haridwar, Ujjain and Nasik, represents a syncretic set of rituals related to worship and cleansing in holy rivers.
· Kanchanmala Pande Wins Indias 1st World Para Swimming Championship Gold
- Nagpur’s Kanchanmala Pande created history as she became the first Indian to secure pole position at the World Para-Swimming Championship in Mexico. The 26-year-old Reserve Bank of India employee won gold in the 200-metre medley event in the S-11 category and was also the only Indian to qualify for the women’s category. Unfortunately, she missed a podium finish in the 100 metres freestyle and came fifth in the breaststroke and backstroke category.
· Kerala to Raise Minimum Liquor Drinking Age from 21 to 23
- The Kerala government lead by the Left Democratic Front (LDF) has decided to raise the legal drinking age from 21 to 23 years.
- The State Cabinet in a meeting decided to introduce a new ordinance raising the minimum age for liquor consumption from 21 to 23.
- The Ordinance will amend the Abkari Act. The previous UDF regime had adopted a policy in favour of prohibition by shutting down bars and closing doors on state-run liquor vending outlets.
- BPCS 2022 Mains Tests and Notes Program
- BPCS Prelims Exam 2022 - Test Series and Notes Program
- BPCS Prelims and Mains 2022 Tests Series and Notes Program
- BPCS Detailed Complete Prelims Notes