Rig vedic period
- Rig Vedic Women in India enjoyed high status in society and their condition was good.
- Even the women were provided opportunity to attain high intellectual and spiritual standard.
- There was no sati system or early marriage.
- They enjoyed freedom and even they enjoyed freedom in selecting their male partner.
- Widows were permitted to remarry.
Later vedic phase
- From enjoying free and esteemed positions in the Rig-Vedic society, women started being discriminated against since the Later-Vedic period in education and other rights and facilities. o Child marriage, widow burning, the purdah and polygamy further worsened the women’s position.
Status of women in the Medieval India
- The Medieval period proved to be highly disappointing for the Indian women, for their status further deteriorated during this period. When foreign conquerors invaded India, they brought with them their own culture. For them women were the sole property of her father, brother or husband and she does not have any will of her own. This type of thinking also crept into the minds of Indian people and they also began to treat their own women like this. They were not allowed to move freely and this lead to the further deterioration of their status.
Modern Indian Women
- The status of women in modern India is a sort of a paradox. If on one hand she is at the peak of ladder of success, on the other hand she is mutely suffering the violence afflicted on her by her own family members.
- But in India still the sex ratio of India shows that the Indian society is still prejudiced against female, sexual violence, safety issues still concern them.
- BPCS 2022 Mains Tests and Notes Program
- BPCS Prelims Exam 2022 - Test Series and Notes Program
- BPCS Prelims and Mains 2022 Tests Series and Notes Program
- BPCS Detailed Complete Prelims Notes