India was the first nation to launched a family planning programme in 1952. Though the birth rate started decreasing, it was accompanied by a sharp decrease in death rate, leading to an overall increase in population.The early concept of population policy covered both mortality and fertility and did not exclusively focus on fertility. There was also a recognition of the need to improve the quality of life of the people by lowering the burden of disease or morbidity, promoting universal primary education and eradicating illiteracy, exploitation and poverty.
In 1976, the first National Population Policy was formulated and tabled in Parliament.
The intent of National Population Policy-NPP-2000 is to eliminate unmet contraceptive needs by providing high quality reproductive healthcare. In particular, the NPP-2000 aims to address flaws in healthcare infrastructure and to achieve a total fertility rate of 2.1 births per woman by 2010. Main objectives of NPP-2000 are:-
- Converge service delivery at village level
- Empowering women for improved health and nutrition needs for family welfare services
- Child health and survival
- Meeting the unmet needs of the under-served population groups
- Use of diverse health care providers
- Collaboration with and commitments from the non-government sector
- Mainstreaming Indian systems of medicine and homeopathy
- Contraceptive technology and research on reproductive and child health (RCH)
- Providing for the older population x. Information education and communication
Population Growth Rate in India has reduced substantially which is evident from the following:-
- The percentage decadal growth rate of the country has declined significantly from 21.5% for the period 1991-2001 to 17.7% during 2001-2011.
- Total Fertility Rate (TFR) was 3.2 at the time when National Population Policy, 2000 was adopted and the same has declined to 2.3 as per Sample registration Survey (SRS) 2013 conducted by the Registrar General of India.
- BPCS 2022 Mains Tests and Notes Program
- BPCS Prelims Exam 2022 - Test Series and Notes Program
- BPCS Prelims and Mains 2022 Tests Series and Notes Program
- BPCS Detailed Complete Prelims Notes