- After steady decline, conviction rate picks up
- After a steady decline between 2011 and 2015, the conviction rate in crime cases in Bihar has been steadily improving for the last three years, according to the data available in the state police headquarters.
- However, the conviction rate has still not been able to match its peak of 11,962 in 2011. In fact, in 2018, the figure was nearly just
- 40% of what it was in 2011, although it registered an increase of 1.66 % compared to 2017.
- In November 2017, Chief Minister Nitish Kumar had expressed concern over decline in the crime conviction rate and asked officials to push for speedy trial to achieve the desired results.
- According to official figures of 2018, punishment in various cases included five death sentences, 1,334 life terms, 590 jail sentences of over 10 years, 2,169 jail sentences for less than 10 years and 1,828 sentences for two years.
- Sugarcane juice declared ‘national drink’ of Pakistan
- The Pakistan government on Friday declared sugarcane juice as the “national drink” of the country.
- The announcement came after the government conducted a Twitter poll where people were asked to decide on the country’s national drink with two other options — orange and carrot — besides sugarcane
- Over 7,600 people participated in the poll and declared sugarcane as national drink ok Pakistan with 81 percent votes. 15 percent of the participants voted in favor of orange juice while 4 percent choose carrot juice.
- Padma Awards 2019 announced
- President Ram Nath Kovind conferred the Padma Awards, one of the highest civilian awards of the category.
- The awards were conferred in three categories, namely, Padma Vibhushan, Padma Bhushan and Padma Shri.
- The list, which was approved by the President, comprises of four Padma Vibhushan, 14 Padma Bhushan and 94 Padma Shri awardees.
- Recipients of Padma Vibhushan awards are as follows:
Ms. Teejan Bai
Shri Ismail Omar Guelleh
Shri Anilkumar Manibhai Naik
Shri Balwant Moreshwar Purandare
Gk bit – Padma Awards
- one of the highest civilian Awards of the country, are conferred in three categories, namely, Padma Vibhushan, Padma Bhushan and Padma Shri.
- The Awards are given in various disciplines/ fields of activities, viz.- art, social work, public affairs, science and engineering, trade and industry, medicine, literature and education, sports, civil service, etc. ‘Padma Vibhushan’ is awarded for exceptional and distinguished service; ‘Padma Bhushan’ for distinguished service of high order and ‘Padma Shri’ for distinguished service in any field. The awards are announced on the occasion of Republic Day every year.
- Pranab Mukherjee, Nanaji Deshmukh, Bhupen Hazarika to be conferred with Bharat Ratna
- Social activist Nanaji Deshmukh, singer Bhupen Hazarika and former President Pranab Mukherjee will be conferred with country’s highest civilian honour Bharat Ratna.
- Nanaji Deshmukh and Bhupen Hazarika will be awarded with the honour posthumously.
- Bharat Ratna is the highest civilian award of India.
- The Bharat Ratna awardee receives a Sanad (certificate) signed by the President of India and a medallion in the form of a Peepal leaf.
· South Africa President Cyril Ramaphosa to be Chief Guest at R-Day Parade
- South Africa President Cyril Ramaphosawill be the Chief Guest at the Republic Day Parade. He is the second President of South Africa after Nelson Mandela to be the Chief Guest at the parade.
- Father of the Nation Mahatma Gandhi is revered in the African nation as he had an important role in the non-violent movement in South Africa.
- India was at the forefront of the international community in its support to the anti-apartheid movement there. India is among the top five trading partners of South Africa.
- Both countries have close cooperation in the areas of vocational training and capacity building.
- ICAR’s ‘Kisan Gandhi’ tableau wins first prize at R-Day parade
- The ICAR tableau in the Republic Day Parade has won the first prize for its Kisan Gandhi theme.
- The Indian Council of Agricultural Research tableau with the theme “Mishrit Kheti, Khushiyon Ki Kheti” portrayed Gandhi with goats and a cow and Kasturba engaged with charkha and caring animals. The tableau showcased a view from Bapu Kuti at Wardha Ashram.
- Tripura bagged the first prize for the state tableau while tableau from Jammu and Kashmir was adjudged the second and Punjab won the third prize.
- Southern Railway won number one for cleanliness
- The Southern Railway has bagged the number one position for cleanliness in all the 17 railway zones in the country.
- This achievement was under the category of other than Premium Category trains in the recent Trains Cleanliness Survey conducted by IRCTC on all India level.
- The survey is conducted once a year to periodically monitor the progress of ‘Swachh Rail Swachh Bharat’ mission.
BPCS Notes brings Prelims and Mains programs for BPCS Prelims and BPCS Mains Exam preparation. Various Programs initiated by BPCS Notes are as follows:-
- BPCS 2022 Mains Tests and Notes Program
- BPCS Prelims Exam 2022 - Test Series and Notes Program
- BPCS Prelims and Mains 2022 Tests Series and Notes Program
- BPCS Detailed Complete Prelims Notes