- ODF deadline looming, Bihar far behind
- Bihar is still far behind the deadline for achieving open defecation-free (ODF) status by October 2 this year. Only five out of the 38 districts in the state could so far be declared ODF. The deadline of Gandhi Jayanti.
- 2019 was set by chief minister Nitish Kumar last year.
- Bhagalpur, Kaimur, Begusarai, Khagaria, and Kisanganj are the districts that have been declared ODF by the state, while other districts, including Patna, still require much paperwork and on-ground work to achieve the status. As per records available with the Centre’s Swachh Bharat Mission (SMB), about 83% of the villages have been declared ODF, while 32% of the urban areas, including some major urban local bodies (ULBS) such as Sultanganj (Bhagalpur), Katihar, Purnia, Khagaria, etc, are yet to get rid of open defecation.
- India to host COP-14 of UNCCD
- India will be hosting the14th session of the Conference of Parties (COP-14) of the United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD)for the first time. COP-14 will be held between September 2 and 14 in Delhi.
- Participants:It is expected that atleast 5,000 delegates from nearly 197 countries will be participating.
- The Centre launched a flagship project, part of a larger international initiative called theBonn Challenge ahead of the COP-14. The flagship project aims to enhance India’s capacity for forest landscape restoration (FLR).
- The Bonn Challenge is a global effort to bring 150 million hectares of the world’s deforested and degraded land under restoration by 2020, and 350 million hectares by 2030.
- The 13th session of the Conference of Parties (COP-13) of the United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD) was held in Ordos, China. Around 113 countries had agreed to specify concrete targets with clear indicators, to rehabilitate more land and reverse degradation, which currently affects over a third of the world’s land resources.
- Facebook unveiled its cryptocurrency, Libra
- Facebookfinally unveiled the details of Libra, its cryptocurrency. Using Libra people can buy things or send money to people with nearly zero fees. It will be rolled out for use in 2020 and allow the platform’s billions of users across the globe to make financial transactions online. The currency will be serviced by a collective of companies called the Libra Association.
- Libra is a global currency and financial infrastructure. In other words, it is a digital asset built by Facebook and powered by a new Facebook-created version of blockchain, the encrypted technology used by bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies.
- Facebook aims to reach the 1.7 billion people around the world who do not have access to a bank account. This new technology threatens to change the landscape of banking.
- Om Birla has been elected as the 17th Lok Sabha Speaker
- Om Birla has been unanimously elected as the17th Lok Sabha Speaker with the opposition Congress coming out in support of the National Democratic Alliance (NDA)’s Birla will replace Sumitra Mahajan.
- Birla was nominated byPrime Minister Narendra Modi, defence minister Rajnath Singh, home minister Amit Shah and minister for transport and highways and shipping Nitin Gadkari.
- NITI Aayog proposed that only electric vehicles should be sold after 2030
- The government’s think tank, has proposed that onlyelectric vehicles should be sold after 2030. The move is to expand the scope of the clean fuel technology beyond two- and three-wheelers.
- It also seeks to fix responsibility for different ministries. It had asked theMinistry of road transport and highways to prepare a framework to phase out the sale of diesel and petrol vehicles by 2030.
- It has also suggested that the ministry to roll out an e-highways programme, with an overhead electricity network, to enable plying of trucks and buses on select National Highways.
- It directed the Ministry of Heavy Industries to go for complete replacement of all diesel/ petrol vehicles with EVs of all central ministries, agencies and public sector by 2030.
- The proposals are part of the plan to manufacture 50 Gigawatt hour (GWh) batteries by 2030.
- Punjab Government set to launch a universal health insurance scheme
- Punjab Health Minister Balbir Singh Sidhu State Government to launch its flagship universal health insurance scheme named “Sarbat Sehat Bima Yojana(SSBY).
The Health scheme will be the first of its kind in the state and provide annual health cove of Rs. 5 lakh per family to 43.18 lakh families of Punjab.
- Health Minister Balbir Singh Sidhu administered government hospitals, 364 private hospitals in Punjab where the beneficiaries would get the secondary and tertiary care treatment.
- Around 14.86 lakh families will be covered under the Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (PM JAY) .
- The cost of the premium for the families covered under the PM JAY by the Centre .
- Unemployed Graduates To Get Up To Rs 3,500 in Rajasthan
- Unemployed youth who completed their graduation or equivalent degree will be given unemployment allowance by the Rajasthan government.
Male applicants will get Rs 3,000/month
- While the women and differently-abled will get Rs 3,500/month under Chief Minister Yuva Sambal Yojana.
- The applicants must be natives of Rajasthan
BPCS Notes brings Prelims and Mains programs for BPCS Prelims and BPCS Mains Exam preparation. Various Programs initiated by BPCS Notes are as follows:-
- BPCS 2022 Mains Tests and Notes Program
- BPCS Prelims Exam 2022 - Test Series and Notes Program
- BPCS Prelims and Mains 2022 Tests Series and Notes Program
- BPCS Detailed Complete Prelims Notes