- Bihar gets its first solid waste processing site
- Bihar’s first solid waste processing site, which will convert organic waste into compost fertiliser, was inaugurated in Muzaffarpur district
- By January 1, 2019, all 49 wards of Muzaffarpur will have segregation practiced at source, along with five model centres to make compost fertiliser and process recyclable wastes like plastic, glass, metal, etc
- Muzaffarpur is the first city in Bihar to have its own solid waste management bye-laws and is enforcing the ban on plastic carry bags which was recently announced by the state government.
- World Students’ Day: 15 October
- World Students’ Day is observed to mark the birthday of A. P. J. Abdul Kalam. It is observed on Kalam’s birthday, 15 October.
- In 2015 the United Nations declared 15 October “World Students’ Day”.
- Kalam was the 11th president of India.
· Air Quality Early Warning System for Delhi launched
- Air Quality Early Warning System for Delhi was launched in Delhi by the Union Minister for Earth Sciences and Environment, Dr. Harsh Vardhan.
- The System is designed to predict extreme air pollution events and give alerts to take necessary steps as per Graded Response Action Plan (GRAP) of the Government of India.
- The air pollution system has been developed jointly by the scientists at Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology (IITM), Pune, India Meteorological Department and National Centre for Medium Range Weather Forecasting (NCMRWF).
· Government launches award scheme under ‘Saubhagya’
- Awards would be provided for achieving 100 per cent household electrification at DISCOM/Power Department level of the States.
- Eight States which have already achieved more than 99 per cent household electrification prior to launch of Saubhagya (Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat, Goa, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Kerala, Punjab and Tamil Nadu), are ineligible for participation under the award scheme. All the remaining States and their Discoms are eligible for the award.
· Drought conditions in 1/3rd of districts
- The June-september monsoon, which was 9% below normal, has caused drought-like conditions in almost a third of the districts in India, putting farmers in these high-deficiency areas under stress, data from the India Meteorological Department and reports from states showed. Over 200 districts received below-average rainfall this year.
- Ahead of a general election next year, rural distress will likely keep the Modi government under pressure from farmers already battling higher cultivation costs, pricier diesel needed to run farm equipment and poor returns due to a slump in commodity prices.
· Centre is to set up a committee to deal issues raised by Metoo India movement
- Minister for Women and Child Development Maneka Gandhiannounced that the Centre is to set up a committee of judges and lawyers to examine the existing legal and institutional framework. The committee is to deal with complaints of sexual harassment at the workplace that are emanating from the#MeTooIndia movement.
- The move comes even as the government is yet to make a statement on allegations by several women journalists against Minister of State for External Affairs J. Akbar.
BPCS Notes brings Prelims and Mains programs for BPCS Prelims and BPCS Mains Exam preparation. Various Programs initiated by BPCS Notes are as follows:-
- BPCS 2022 Mains Tests and Notes Program
- BPCS Prelims Exam 2022 - Test Series and Notes Program
- BPCS Prelims and Mains 2022 Tests Series and Notes Program
- BPCS Detailed Complete Prelims Notes