It seeks to grant the National Commission on Backward Classes (NCBC) constitutional status, at par with the National Commission for Scheduled Castes (NCSC) and the National Commission for Scheduled Tribes.The NCBC is a body set up under the National Commission for Backward Classes Act, 1993. The Act states that the President may specify the socially and educationally backward classes in the various states and union territories. He may do this in consultation with the Governor of the concerned state. However, a law of Parliament will be required if the list of backward classes is to be amended.
The NCBC will comprise of five members appointed by the President. Their tenure and conditions of service will also be decided by the President through rules. the duties of the NCBC will include:
- investigating and monitoring how safeguards provided to the backward classes under the Constitution and other laws are being implemented,
- inquiring into specific complaints regarding violation of rights, and
- advising and making recommendations on socio-economic development of such classes. The central and state governments will be required to consult with the NCBC on all major policy matters affecting the socially and educationallybackward classes.
The NCBC will have the powers of a civil court while investigating or inquiring into any complaints.
- BPCS 2020 Mains (65th Mains) Tests and Notes Program
- BPCS Prelims Exam 2020 (66th Prelims)- Test Series and Notes Program
- BPCS Prelims and Mains 2020 Tests Series and Notes Program
- BPCS Detailed Complete Prelims Notes