Gender sensitization presides over gender sensitivity, the modification of behavior by raising awareness of gender equality concerns. This can be achieved by conducting various sensitization campaigns, training centres, workshop, programs etc. Sensitization in the domain of Humanities and Social Sciences, is seen as an awareness informed propensity or disposition which aims at changing behavior so that it is sensitive to certain issues. Gender sensitization may be seen as “the awareness informed ropensity to behave in a manner which is sensitive to gender justice and gender equality issues.”
Gender is Socially Learned behavior, based on Social Expectation from Men & Women. It varies across the world . Sex is Natural, Gender is Socio + Cultural = Man Made.A “stereotype” is a cognitive shortcut — that is, it allows your brain to make a snap judgment based on immediately visible characteristics such as gender, race, or age.
Stereotype Gender Bias
- Gender is not a “Women’s Issue” It’s a “People’s Issue”.
- Construction of power of one Determines the Construction & Power of the Other
- It’s the undue pressure on Boys & Girls to live up to the established norms of Masculinity & femininity
- Girls endure unwarranted social control, discrimination & domination
- Boys discouraged from being emotional, gentle or fearful thrust into a world of Macho Protectors, Warriors, Breadwinners.
Gender sensitization is by far the most effective and non confrontationist approach of reforming the society. Gender sensitization is the process of changing the stereotype mind set of men and women, a mindset that strongly believes that men and women are unequal entities and hence have to function in different socio- economic space. Gender sensitization intends to change the perception that men and women have of each other. It creates a mindset in men that no longer sees in women the stereotypical image. Rather they are seen as responsible and equal partners in socio- economic development. The general perception of men and women on the rigid gender division of labour and other orthodox practices related to gender begin to die down. Women also tend to develop the perception that they are no subordinate to men and they have an equally important role to play in decision making at household, community and organization level. The men, who are reluctant to acknowledge women‘s contribution, come forward under the influence of sensitization to recognize their contribution. In recent decades gender equality, women’s empowerment and the realization of women’s rights is worth pursuing; as women’s empowerment is a means to promoting sustainable human development.
The continued existence of disparities between women and men in access and control over resources, and the overt discrimination against women throughout history, are now seen as an obstacle in international development agendas.
Gender Sensitization is one basic requirement for the normal development of an individual. Without being sensitive to the needs of a particular gender, an individual may refrain from understanding the opposite gender and in some acute cases even him or herself. The need for this sensitivity has been felt and realised through times immemorial and in almost all kinds of human existence, across the globe. But somehow in the recent times, a much stronger need is felt and realized to talk and discuss about this sensitive topic both on a Personal and Professional front.
Particularly in a country like India, with the vast diversity existing in terms of its customs, traditions, rituals, social values, family beliefs and individual perception, the need for a More Systematic, Well Planned and More Professional Approach is desired to inculcate this sensitivity and primarily highlight the contribution of both the genders in creation and development of a well balanced society.
- Individuals need to be more open-minded, rational and unbiased in their thoughts and actions.
- There is an urgent need to shatter the load of our Orthodox Beliefs and Biased Values to accentuate the Progressive Existence of both the genders.
- Better reconciliation of work and private life for both women and men is essential to gender equality.
- There is a need to provide steps to safeguard women’s safety and for men to be assured that such measures are not an indication of discrimination against the male population.
- Training and awareness-raising in educational set- up, at workplace and in society can eliminate gender-based prejudice and thereby change stereotyped working cultures as regards to the roles and abilities of women and men, including attitude towards women in leadership positions.
- Better knowledge and understanding of gender issues at all levels of society, including communication activities, role plays, dramas, documentaries, various other audio visual aids will raise awareness among both stakeholders and the general public.
- Both the genders need to take stand at their own level, to support and promote the upliftment and wellness of their own and the opposite gender, so as to overcome any sort of differentiation or harassment.
Surely both the Genders are a Creation of Nature and equally essential for the Sustainable Development of any Society. Any sort of gap or inequality w.r.t. the survival rate, individual count, literacy, health, safety, respect and freedom will damage the sanctity and the authentication of human existence.
- BPCS 2020 Mains (65th Mains) Tests and Notes Program
- BPCS Prelims Exam 2020 (66th Prelims)- Test Series and Notes Program
- BPCS Prelims and Mains 2020 Tests Series and Notes Program
- BPCS Detailed Complete Prelims Notes